Sunscreen 101

By Gwendolyn Me - July 01, 2021

 It continues to amaze me that so many women today are willing to undergo drastic surgery/aesthetic services for wrinkles but don’t wear sunscreen.

Many people underestimate the power of the sun. It is not just a major cause of hyperpigmentation and skin cancer, but wrinkles, dryness – which leads to premature aging.

If you know me, you'll know I don't do sun. I'm the girl that wears sunscreen in-doors during winter. I'm the girl that brings an umbrella to the beach. I'm the girl that refuses to let the sun touch me for more than 10 mins. 

Friends and people always laugh at my love-hate relationship with Mr Sun, but they are reasons why I do so. As much as I love him, there are moments I dislike him too (hate is such a strong word. lol). BUT!! That doesn’t stop me from going outside and enjoy the beach. I just simply have my precautions.

How many of you actually use sunscreen and actually understand the things that it does to you in the long run? (I think sunscreen is one of the topics I talk about the most here.) The most common question I get is

“How do you keep your complexion so nice?” or “Your skin is so soft and amazing!” or the one I get most from Asian s are “You are so fair and radiant!” 

It’s simple. Always use sunscreen! It doesn’t matter if you have any foundation or BB Cream on or if you’re just plain jane. You always need sunscreen. Even if you don’t like fair skin and you want a tan, it’s important to get the right sunscreen/tanning lotion/oil and stay away from the damage it does to your skin in the long run. How much more do I need to emphasise the importance of sunscreen?

When people find out that I wear sunscreen every day, they freak out. Because sunscreen wasn’t advertised or marketed as an everyday essential but it was marketed (thanks to banana boat) as sunscreen you wear when you go to the beach! Especially, coming from people who want to be as tan as possible or how they say it “as black as possible”. But what many don’t understand is that tanning should be done the proper way - that is why tanning lotions exist! 

A little information about tanning lotion and how it works;

The sun releases UVA and UVB 

UVA breaks down your skin collagen 

UVB causes the burn not the outer surface of your skin.

I remember when NIVEA came out with the sun protection awareness ads, it was really effective as it shows you the effects it does it the long run. (plus, how you would look like) Not endorsed by NIVEA.

 

 




.

Now you wouldn’t wanna wait till you’re old with wrinkles and hyper-pigmentation to start using sunscreen right? 

Bit too late don’t you think?

Remember! You’re never ugly, only if you’re lazy!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments